The Month of March felt like a total wash for me. I was so excited to be close to losing that 80 lbs, but could not reach it. In the month of March I lost a total of 1.4 lbs... in February I lost 7.2 - quite a bit of difference. Very disconcerting because just a month ago (March) I started training for a 5k. You'd think that shaking it up a bit would work.
So I'm going to share with you some of the tips I received to deal with my plateau:
- Are you getting enough protein?
- Eat beef, it fills you up faster and sticks with you.
- Exercise less (if that's what is making you more hungry)
- Do you eat enough before working out or do you wait until after?
- Before Work Out: Try 150 -200 Calories of Carbs a half hour before
- After Work Out: 24-26 grams of protein within an hour
- Spread out meals into smaller but more frequent meals.
- If working out hard - examples of things to eat
- Breakfast: oatmeal and egg whites on the side
- Snack: egg whites and spinach with salsa OR PB2 with rice cakes
- Lunch: 3 oz lean meat, complex carb (brown rice or sweet potato) and a green veggie
- Protein Powder mixed with water or milk for after work outs and then a piece of fruit too
- Protein Ideas: individual packets of tuna, chicken breast, turkey burger, turkey breast (not lunch meat)
- I found an article here on plateaus and how to deal with them... it's pretty decent and bumps up against some of the suggestions above: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/6-steps-to-get-over-your-weight-loss-plateau.html